What problem does this solve?
The about page pattern describes how to show version, copyright and licence information to users.
How to use this pattern
All products and add-ons must make version, copyright and licence information available. This information should be placed on a single 'About' page for each each product (e.g. 'About JIRA').
A product's 'About' page should contain:
- The product logo and description
- Version, copyright and licence information for the product itself in the format below
- Version, copyright and licence information for each installed add-on in the format below
This means that each product must provide an 'About' page in such a manner that add-ons can append their 'about' information to the page. There should only be one 'About' page per product.
The product and each add-on should include the following information on the 'About' page:
- The name and version of the product or add-on in question (e.g. 'JIRA v6.0')
- A copyright statement from year of first publication to year of current release (e.g. Copyright © 2002 - 2013 Atlassian Corporation Pty Ltd)
- Applicable license information including links to any licence directories
Linking to the 'About' page
The 'About' page should be accessible to users in a prominent place within the system by placing:
- An 'About [product name]' (e.g. 'About JIRA') link in the Help menu within the application header
- If there are add-ons installed, an 'About installed add-ons' link in the Help menu that deep links to the add-ons section of the 'About' page
What happens if…
- …I need to display credits or other release notes (e.g. 'What's new')? Show any other application information in a separate page or dialog (e.g. credits page). The 'About' page should only contain the information described above.